Saturday, September 10, 2011

Dull

Sometimes college is fun, but the majority of the time I am pretty bored. I spend lots of time studying and doing homework, but not nearly as much time as I did in high school, so I have a lot more free time. Because I was bored, I joined the crew team at VCU, which is really fun. It's a little crazy and unexpected, because I've never done any kind of team sports other than Parks and Rec as a kid and summer swim team. Practices are from 5am to 7am, so it's a good way to get me up and active again, and also to meet some really nice people and have something to do.

I've also submitted an application to volunteer at a local clinic. We'll see if that goes anywhere. I'm hoping that it does because I'd really like the experience volunteering in a healthcare clinic. Also I've joined a club or so, and I have institute for church on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, so I'm getting involved.

However, my weekends are pretty boring. Nothing much to do around here. They have things going on in the commons a lot of Friday or Saturday nights, but most of the time it's an R-rated movie or something. Last night I headed over to the gym to do a swim test for crew, and was talking to a group of people on my floor. A large number were headed out as a group to a Hookah Bar (I didn't even have any idea what hookah was until I came here--here lies the most naive college kid ever). Three of the girls were headed to a frat party. Some of the people hung around in the honors lounge, but not many. I went to the gym, came back, and went to bed. I feel like my college weekends are going to be pretty dull.

I think I'll go home a lot, too. I would have this weekend, but today we had a mandatory retreat for all honors freshman. Parts of it were enjoyable, like simply talking to everyone and climbing some of the rope courses, but overall I felt like it was a waste of time. It was like a bunch of dumb icebreakers shoved into one day, and then talking about how each activity applies to working as a team. The worst part of it was that it was right by Kings Dominion... I was sooo close to home. Ridiculously close. Then at the end, we got on I-95 South and slowly started heading back to Richmond.

No comments: