Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Missionaries

In my church, young men and women have the opportunity to serve a mission if they desire to. Boys go for about two years, and girls go for about eighteen months. During those two years, they teach others about Christ and about our faith and gospel principles, amongst other things.

About two months ago my cousin Jacob left to go to her Mission Training Center (MTC) in Provo, Utah. A few weeks later, my other cousin Austin left for the MTC as well. Austin spent a few weeks learning how to be a missionary and then on November 16, he left for the mission field to serve in California for the next two years. He is doing so well and from his letters, it seems he really is enjoying himself.

Jacob spent a little bit longer in the MTC--he was there for about two months total. In those two months, Jacob spent countless hours and days learning Tagalog. Although these guys spend hours and hours every day learning the language, it still amazes me how quickly they pick it up! Last night, Jacob and his district (everyone headed over to the Philippines) left the MTC and are currently in transit for the Philippines. While in the airport, Jacob had a chance to call a few family members. I knew he would be calling around 9pm California time, so after midnight here. I didn't want to fall asleep in case I missed Jacob's call, so I did random things until the phone rang at 1:43 am! I got to talk to him for about 5 minutes, and wish him safe travels. He seems so excited to be in the Philippines!

It's been really exciting and fun having two cousins out serving as missionaries, and it has definitely made me so much more aware and appreciative of the work and sacrifice that young men and women have made for the efforts of the gospel.

No comments: