Saturday, June 28, 2008

Vacation Bible School

At our house, you are more likely to see ten thousand video game pieces and parts rather than one Fisher Price toy, even though the youngest in our family is still only two. Now for the first three kids, it was a little different. All we knew and loved was our Fisher Price flashlights and baby dolls. However, when you are more near the end of the line in a family, parents seem to be much more relaxed. The last two children in my family knew how to play a game boy advance at 13 months and the last one knew how to turn on a computer before that. So one would definitely say that the little kids in our family are hooked on electronics and would always be playing them if they had the option. However, my mom isn't so happy about that.

So in an attempt to get the kids out of the house and doing something actually worth while for at least one week of the summer, my mom signed the three little boys up for Vacation Bible School (VBS). Thinking that I could also obtain service hours for my high school diploma, she told multiple people that I would be able to volunteer, which I don't mind. The theme this year was "Power Lab", so I thought that the kids would do a few different experiments, learn a bible story or two, and then be done--boy, was I wrong.

As a little kid, I never went to VBS, so I didn't know what to expect when I got there. Well, to my surprise, the first day I walked in I saw all these kids and ladies singing and dancing to bible songs. It was quite interesting if I do say so myself. I was a group helper, so I was helping the littler kids dance to the music and I had to sing along. They make those bible songs very catchy these days.

Throughout the week we learned little bible stories such as Jesus healing the 10 lepers, Him dying on the cross, Peter walking on water, et cetera. So it was a pretty good program for the little kids and they all had fun. They time flew by really quickly and before I knew it, the week was over and I had gained my service hours.

However, I did take one thing away from this past week--I now find myself singing the bible songs we learned in my own house and I can't stop. It can get highly annoying. For instance, the other night I was in my room and my sister and I were going to sleep. I started humming one of the songs that is really annoying because it is the same phrase over and over again three hundred times. It goes like this: Jesus' power is bubbling over. Jesus' power bubbles in my soul. It is sung to a very catchy rhythm, and when you start, you just can't stop. So eventually I sang myself to sleep. Right before I drifted off my sister looked at me and said, "Megan... Megan... Yes! It's finally over!"

No comments: