Monday, December 21, 2015

Temple Lights and Global Food

This weekend I was taking Kavya up to Dulles airport to fly home to Canada for Christmas break. While I was already up north, I figured it would be perfect for Nathan and I to go to see the Christmas lights at the temple. I told him early in the week about the potential plan, but Nathan also had to work on Saturday. Unfortunately this time of year is crazy busy for him at work.

Fast forward to Saturday morning, when an early morning phone call woke both of us up for the day. Nate got up and ready and headed out pretty early, and said he'd try and make it home in time to ride up with me at two. You know when you can tell someone really doesn't want to do something but they will anyway? Yeah, that was Nathan. He was already so tired, but just because he knew I wanted to go out with him, he came home in time to go with me, and even drove through the nasty traffic for us. So off we went, him yawning the whole drive. We dropped Kavya off, and then headed over to the temple.


Nathan hadn't ever been to the temple at Christmas time, and he really loves Christmas. He constantly tries to convince me of the thousands of lights that will be hung at our house one day, so I thought he would like all the lights and everything. Anyways, we went, enjoyed the nativities from around the world, and shivered in the cold long enough to snap a few pictures. But that was just part one of our little date.



Part two: Global Market. It is so much bigger than the little Asian market Nate took me to the first time. This one is like the size of a Food Lion, and has about a million and one things that I have no idea of even how to pronounce. But for some reason I really enjoy looking at everything--especially the fruits and veggies. Nate kind of just rushes through. In this aspect, I'm a little like my dad in that regard--I could go up and down every isle and ask questions about every ingredient. But hey, Nathan thought Chinese broccoli was the same thing as Bok choy, so I guess my questions wouldn't do me much good with him :). He ended up getting a few random things--some catfish to cook while I'm gone for the next few days at work, and some pork meat things. But I honestly wouldn't know what to do with the majority of that stuff. Maybe one day I'll learn, but for now, the Asian cooking is left up to Nathan. 



And then we went out to dinner and called it a night. Even though he was tired and pretty much went home and passed out, I'm glad he put on a nice smile and enjoyed the evening with me anyway. I love that guy. Now just wait until Christmas Eve until I see him again!

No comments: