Monday, June 15, 2009

Family of Freaks

This summer one of my goals is actually to write on my blog, maybe actually continue writing and not have these huge, month long gaps in between posts. Who knows, it could happen.

This past weekend we had my mom's Mother (my grandma) in town visiting, as well as my dad's sister and her family. Having the big family that we do, it can get REALLY chaotic. For our extended family, it becomes very overwhelming. I suppose it is just the ten people, the noise, the yelling, the mess--basically everything our family of ten live with and do on a daily basis. On top of that, our family acts differently than most. Having kids that range from age 17 to 3, the little ones often obtain a wide, teenage vocabulary and learn to do things such as play gameboys at one year old. Many people are taken back at our family, even my Grandma.

I suppose you could say we are an eccentric family--a family of freaks, my mom would say. It's probably not what many people would deem as "acceptable behavior", but we go around our house calling each other freaks, stupid, crazy, retarded, gay, cool, dumb, smart, gorgeous--pretty much anything. However, it is always playful, and everyone knows it. On top of that, we are all nerds. All of us kids have been raised to put school as our top priority, and so we are very intelligent. Plus, our father is the biggest computer/video game nerd, and so we play lots of those. This is partly why our family shocks our relatives, who get in trouble for merely saying the word "stupid" and who love having spick-and-span homes. However, we're a family, a unique one, but we wouldn't trade it for the world.

Just as an example for you that happened this weekend: Ryan, the three year old, was taught to say, "you're gorgeous darling, gorgeous". Suzanne got home from school on the last day and when she walked in the house, Ryan told her she was "just gorgeous, darling". My grandma was in the room, and she asked Ryan if she was gorgeous, too, and he told her no, only Suzanne. What happened next seemed very dramatic to most of us, but I guess it comes back to the fact that we are a weird family. My grandma got up from the table in tears, because a three year old said she wasn't gorgeous. He doesn't even know what the word means. Later I asked him what it meant, and he said "very stupid", so in actuality, it was a compliment.

I love my family <3.







No comments: